Veterinary acupuncture is an ancient Chinese form of medicine that involves the gentle insertion of tiny needles into specific points on the body. Those points connect to the inner organs and the central nervous system and stimulate healing and balance. Acupuncture can help treat a wide variety of problems, ranging from arthritic pain and ligament injury to allergies and ear infections to chronic kidney disease and even seizures. Acupuncture can be a great benefit for pets with cancer, supporting their appetite and immune system, suppressing tumor growth, and relieving pain. Acupuncture also can be paired with conventional treatments to reduce the side effects of medications, improve comfort, and lessen symptoms. Ask us about combining acupuncture with herbal medicine and food therapy for a comprehensive Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine treatment plan!
Links of interest:
What is Acupuncture?
What is Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine?
List of conditions that can be treated with acupuncture – either alone or in conjunction with conventional medicine and/or additional eastern medicine:
- Arthritis- neck, back, LS, hip, stifle, carpal, hock, etc
- Muscle spasm and pain
- IVDD- paresis and paralysis- possible to treat both with acupuncture alone but, of course, if paralyzed and no deep pain, surgery with acupuncture offers the best outcome.
- Ligament injury/damage
- Generalized weakness and hind end weakness
- Chronic kidney disease, Cushing’s, hypo and hyperthyroid, heart disease and hypertension, liver disease,allergies and skin and ear infections, asthma and bronchitis, UTI, seizures- best outcome is with integrating acupuncture and herbs with conventional medicine
- Vomiting, diarrhea; acute and chronic
- Urinary and fecal incontinence
- Behavioral issues- very challenging but possible to help with acupuncture and herbs
- IMHA, IMTP- depending on severity- with or without conventional treatment
- Stomatitis, feline herpetic disease
- Cystitis, urinary stones, chronic UTI
- Cancer of any kind- with or without chemo/radiation/surgery
Acupuncture is perfect for those pets that have limited conventional medicine options (because of drug reactions or interactions) or to help reduce the side effects of drugs or to reduce the dose of drugs.